The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

MIL and a rough running engine (CAM ADJUSTERS)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MIL and a rough running engine (CAM ADJUSTERS)
    Posted: 01-Aug-2009 at 12:59
After filling up the gas tank, the gas cover was left off for a few minutes. The W8 was fine for the rest of the day.

Next day, upon starting I think, the MIL engine light was on solid yellow and the engine is running very rough. Kind of sounds like it is not running on all cylinders. It was driven about 20 minutes before my wife noticed the light and rough running.

My W8 has 72K miles. Any thoughts?

I have an appt at VW...should I even drive it or get it towed for free by Triple A?

Thanks for any help. And thank goodness for extended warranties!

Edited by ThunderRoad - 05-Aug-2009 at 09:12
unimogjohn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote unimogjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2009 at 20:39
If it was me, I would have AAA tow it for me. You have paid for it via your membership so I would take advantage of it.

Good luck on your repair, let us know what the problem is.

John in VA, 2003 W8 Wagon
JMCXTY View Drop Down

Quote JMCXTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2009 at 01:46
Could be coil pack
Jamie

black 2002 W8 variant tip with sports pack
gods_dad View Drop Down

Quote gods_dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2009 at 07:31
I had the same symptoms when the coil pack went on mine (Twice).

The guy at VW told me it would do do damage to drive it, but I would probably get it towed.

You don't know what is wrong at the moment and you would hate to have the mechanic say "It may have been ok had you not driven it here"!
ThunderRoad View Drop Down

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2009 at 21:11
OK, let the fun begin...the code was "Camshaft Position Timing is Overadvanced".

Dealer says to do a complete oil flush at my cost of $250-$300 as this is not covered under my "Platinum" "VW Real Driver" Warranty. Their feeling is this will unclog adjusters. If this does not work, their next step will be to remove Valve Cover Gasket so they can monitor the timing...AT MY EXPENSE. The next step will be to remove the engine and check the tensioners...AT MY EXPENSE. These items are only covered if/when they find a problem.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. I'm sure glad I paid for that platinum extended warranty.

Goofy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Goofy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2009 at 01:38
That the same BS they gave me until I threw the CA Emissions Warranty at them and got things sorted. That probably won't help you but I wouldn't go down without a fight, read the warranty thoroughly and see if you can find anything to use against them. In the meantime if they've admitted the adjusters are clogged just point out that's a problem... a well known problem due to poorly designed parts. Problem = Items Covered. Worth a try at least.

Good luck.
GreatW8 View Drop Down

Quote GreatW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2009 at 12:54
I had the same issue with my W8 same mileage too. Dealer told me VW's fix for the problem is to check for sludge in the oil pan. They removed the oil pan and found "some" sludge near the oil pan drain hole. The next step is an engine flush then refill with synthetic oil and see if code pops up again. Mind you all these steps were on my dime. I told them to put the pan back on and I took my car home and threw in a can of Seafoam. So far so good. Make sure you have documentation showing the oil changes were performed. Your warranty company will request it if you turn in a claim. Good luck!!
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2009 at 13:08
I had the exact same problem last summer after i got some sh*tty gas i plugged a fuel injector. Replaced the injector no problems 20k later. It felt like the car would buck or almost like the TQ would slip under a load. PS I had within a few k miles of that too kinda interesting.
ThunderRoad View Drop Down

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2009 at 15:49
Well, the flush failed to resolve the problem. Dealer practically begged me to take car to another dealership. Waiting for next steps...they are telling me to prepare for my ext warranty company to refuse to pay because the "real" solution involves changing many parts (per VW) and they simply don't operate that way. Warr will only cover bad parts. So the last time they did this job they had to reassemble the engine several times to prove that all parts need to be changed (both right and left banks regardless of whether both are throwing codes) in order for the solution to be permanent.

I'm in this for the long haul. I bought a Platinum VW Real Driver Warranty from a Real VW Dealer...and they happily took my money.

My W8 has been maintained to recommendations and I can only warn other W8 owners out there w/o warranties (and perhaps those with a warranty) that you do not want this to happen. If it hasn't happened to your car yet, don't think that you are safe because you've been taking good care of the W8.

Ballpark estimate if they are able to do everything right the first time is $6K.

If not and they have to drop engine multiple times, price can go to $14K.

Sorry to pass on this info but I really wish that I traded this car in last week (as much as I love it.) This is a major headache.

I would love to hear from anyone who had this problem and was able to get it repaired via an extended warranty.

MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2009 at 14:46
I was just going to purchase an extended RealDriver Platinum warranty from this guy selling them in this thread...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3648920

Check you warranty documentation...I thought the Platinum warranty, was an exclusion warranty, meaning it covers EVERYTHING EXCEPT what is listed as not covered? NO?

EDIT: Here's the snip from the thread:

The Platinum covers all that and the rest of the entire car w/ the
> exception
> of this:
> brake linings,brake drums and rotors,disc brake pads,std trans clutch
> components,air bags,solar powered devices,hinges, glass, lenses,sealed
> beams,trim moldings,door handles, lock cylinders,tires, batteries, light > bulbs,upholstery, paint,bright metal,freeze plugs,heater and radiator> hoses,exhaust systems,shock absorbers,audio,security or other systems not> factory installed, work such as front end alignment or wheel balancing,> constant velocity joint boots, safety restraint systems,cellular> phones,electronis transmitting devices{except those specifically listed> under silver, gold, or gold plus coverage},radar detectors,appliances,near> object avoidance systemand all oither laser radar cruise control> components,> vinyl and convertible tops.

Edited by SirRangeALot - 07-Aug-2009 at 20:00
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>