Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

engine number 3 insides

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine number 3 insides
    Posted: 19-Jul-2011 at 23:49
So been taking engine number 3 to bit's to try and work out why it failed.

So got the cam adjusters off

Found bust screens

Next took the cams off to see if there was any oil starvation or damage
Very dark which is surprising on a 48,000 mile engine

Then picked up on scoring on cam seats

Had a quick look at the engine in my car which is being stripped due to timing being out and at least it's nice and golden

So then got to the lower crankcase support that is factory sealed

Again some scoring

Work of art of a crank

Very close rods

Pistons......different codes to Bentley ones

And the reason there was so much metal in the sump.......from the conrod seats

All smacks of oil starvation. so either cam adjusters foul up and stop oil moving or the oil sprayers that spray the underside of the pistons have blocked. All piston linings are also scored.

I think engine number 4 should be okay as no metal in the sump....but this one is properly toast

Edited by dmcdmc - 19-Jul-2011 at 23:52
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2011 at 00:11
Ay, caramba...
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
noskreef View Drop Down

Quote noskreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2011 at 17:01
What was the service history of # 3? Which oil was used? Any additives? I'd hate to think that my engine looked like that 90,000 miles ago.
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2011 at 19:27
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

Ay, caramba...

Couldn't have said it better myself.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2011 at 14:52
Originally posted by noskreef

What was the service history of # 3? Which oil was used? Any additives? I'd hate to think that my engine looked like that 90,000 miles ago.

Supposedly full service history, but this is always the problem with buying 2nd hand engines. This one actually sounded the best of any W8 engine I've ever heard. Very quiet and very smooth. It had a flush on service when I fitted it and thats when I started getting fault codes. I think the flush helped dislodge sludge which then helped block galleries which ultimately helped break the engine
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2011 at 16:42
Wow..seeing that makes me think about selling and moving on...but then I just go for a drive and all is well again. :)
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2011 at 19:31
I don't think the cam adjusters gumming up would be responsible for the disintegration of the con rod bearings since the latter get their oil from the main bearings which in turn get it from the central oil passage.

Given how almost every surface seems to show signs of oil starvation, I'd imagine a problem closer to the oil pump is more likely to be the cause.

Interestingly, my W8 came with a full service history (and two owners, the first of which was the VW dealer) but after my first oil change I noticed quite a lot of carbon in the oil filter. However, after regular 5k changes using Castrol Edge, my filter looked absolutely pristine when I changed it two weeks ago.
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2011 at 20:55
Agree that the cam adjusters shouldn't technically stop the crank getting oil but the cam adjusters were the only fault code showing and these engines are a real strange one. Everything points to oil pump failure but it's working fine. The scoring at the top end is most likely caused by the metal from the Conrod bearings traveling round the engine and given they are harder than the aluminium the score easily. The other thing to consider is that only 2 Conrod bearings were damaged??? All the others were fine
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2011 at 23:48
Presumably, the debris from the conrod bearings would fall into the sump and then get picked up by the oil pickup but wouldn't the oil filter catch the metal bits before they traveled back round the engine?

btw, any chance I could buy the old crank off you?
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
 Post Reply Post Reply