Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Engine number 4 re-build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine number 4 re-build
    Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 12:16
Been busy getting engine out so not had many updates so here goes

Finally managed to get the engine and box out. Had to take the gearbox mounts off. heat shields and downpipes. Getting the gear linkage off was by far and away the hardest task of all

Not much clearance to work with

Dual Mass Flywheel really didn't want to come off so spoke to the master tech at the local dealer who I've worked with previously on 2 other W8 engine swaps.....he said no special tools so I found a special tool of my own......a spade

Did the trick, but not without a few battle scars

Adjusters off so I can take the screens out. Guy on German W8 forum has removed the screens and didn't have any issues.

Bank 1 head off and no valve damage....thankfully

And no piston damage so cleaned the faces, new gasket and head back on along with new bolts.....need tightening sequence if anyone has it??

Took the adjusters off the other head and removed the screens.....Just took the stainless steel gauze off and left the outer seal.

Then got the new chains and tensioners and set the timing up.

Thankfully everything lines up ok

Just waiting on a new bolt for the intermediate shaft as the master tech said to check it as he found that the woodruff key had broken on one of the previous engines of mine he had worked on......I found it to be fine, but it uses a stretch bolt so needs to be replaced every time.

Hopefully get it tomorrow and start to get it back together.
w8newzealand View Drop Down

Quote w8newzealand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 12:32
wow those are great pics.

Wish I had the skills to do a job like this.

The pics of the adjusters. Are those screens in the condition that causes all the problems?

How many k's had that engine done before the screens went?

cheers
Owen
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 12:44
Screens in every engine I've had have been damaged. On this one the inlet and exhaust ones were knackered on bank 1, but on bank 2 only the inlet was damaged with exhaust being absolutely fine. This engine was 91,000 miles and the last was 48,000 and the one before that 155,000

The gauze is stainless steel so could easily cause a solenoid to get blocked which would in turn cause issues.

I still haven't found a reason as to why the timing went on this engine tho as it was only the exhaust cam on bank 1 that was out
mperew8 View Drop Down

Quote mperew8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 14:18
That's great, love the photos too, they look great I wish i had the time or tools for that type of a job, It be worth it just to remove the cam screens.

-2004 W8 6spd Silverstone Grey.
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 14:23
Working on it at night after work and the wife went on holiday last night for a week with her friend so have the whole week to myself to get it all done. Should have the engine and box back in by the end of the week.

I think most folk could probably do the job if they have a copy of the bentley manual as most of it's common sense
mbyoung424 View Drop Down

Quote mbyoung424 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 17:04
I changed the oil on my car once and said to hell with it. Let the dealership do the work while it was under warranty and now that it's not I got myself the bentley manual to start working on my own. Don't think I'd go as far as you have though. Great pics, it's nice to see that this engine uses chains instead of belts for the timing.
w8newzealand View Drop Down

Quote w8newzealand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 21:29
Sorry I know this has been done to death in other cam adjuster topics but a couple more questions on them.

Are the brand new spare parts that we put our cars when the cam adjusters fail in any way modified? i.e. no screens or strengthened screens

Or do we have no option but to buy the exact same parts as we are replacing and either use them as is or make our own modifications?

Seems crazy to me that VW can get away with this if it is the case.
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 22:41
Here's VW's guide to reassembling the head:

"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
___/ __/ _/ View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote ___/ __/ _/ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2011 at 06:35
In the solenoid screen photo...

Was there sludge on the screen? And do you think one could successfully remove the solenoids from topside and not muck up? I'm having Bank 2 issues that are not seeming to clear by shock therapy.

Cheers.
"I agree that the W8 is a great car--when it works... "
-dstathos-

^Pure Genius! Why didn't I write that?!?

Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2011 at 18:03
Not sure whether this is completely relevant, but reading this article about aluminium engines this caught my eye:

"One renouned vehicle manufacturer advises that certain engine blocks must be replaced completely if the bearing caps of the main crankshaft bearings are opened. Be relieving the pressure from the bolts, the internal structure would expand, which would produce distortions in the main bearing center line. Therefore the manufacturer in question still provides the engine block, the crank shaft, the main bearing bolts etc., as a complete assembly unit. Individual parts for this engine block are not listed in the spare parts catalogue of the engine manufacturer, neither are they supplied"

Sounds like it could be the VAG...

Edited by Malcolm Tucker - 02-Sep-2011 at 18:04
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>