The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Wahoo... '03 W8 6MT... it's ours!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wahoo... '03 W8 6MT... it's ours!
    Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 14:34
The title about says it.

Just got home with our newest steed - and the wife is out getting groceries in it now! I actually made an almost even trade for my '02 Beetle TDI to get it. It's a black/black '03 6MT W8 Sedan with 63k on the clock. It's everything I could have ever wanted in a Passat, even down to the color and tint. Just needs two tires. Seriously flawless car outside of some curbage on the Madras rims. Has a clean service history outside of one cam adjuster replaced under warranty, and the guys at the shop that did the work knew the car as a solid machine.

I even got the original window sticker with it... $39K!

I bought it for an even $15k from Ewing Autohaus Mercedes in Plano, TX, where someone local who'd had it maintained at a couple of VW dealerships since new decided to trade up to a Mercedes about a month ago. I found the car via eBay. I think they were happy to have a serious buyer, and actually found me better financing than my own bank would give (which I've bought 4 cars through) so that they could meet my terms and make the sale. I can't say enough good about the guys at Ewing - great experience, and my first ever good experience with a full-service dealer's sales dept.

Looking forward to spending quality time with it. You guys were a great resource when I was researching this trade - thanks!

First to do: build low-profile cable adapter to mount PhatBox in the cubby, adjust the shift linkage, and do the usual VDS-Pro magic to the CCM for the windows. I should also really clear out my side of the garage to get it indoors at night.

Cheers!

Nate
Vincere View Drop Down

Quote Vincere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 18:06
Congratulations on your purchase. Sounds like a very nice car. I bought my Audi A4 in Plano but at Boardwalk Audi and also after finding the car on Ebay.
Dave
2003 W8 Tip Wagon
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 11:10
Congrats! Look forward to seeing some PICTURES!

re: the Madras rims - are you sure it's curb damage? The rim barrels are well known for peeling clearcoat, and they can get pretty ugly.

Shift linkage adjustment is easy, presuming it's the same thing I had to do. The procedure is in the Bentley, but I can send you a PDF of the relevant pages. I might have a post at PassatWorld as well...
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 15:23
Welcome to the world of W8 ownership!
It's amazing how undervalued they are these days.
Which is really nice for us Gen2 owners.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 16:02
Yes - I'm sure the damage is curbage. I don't think this car has ever seen snow or salt... I might try to keep it that way. My wife got a good look at the curb rash and wondered how anyone could do that to a car they paid about $40K for. Some are worse than others - scrapes up on the middle of some of the spokes - but all can likely be fixed with a little TLC.

I've got all the manuals already, etc, but thanks for the offer, fitzski.

After having a real close look at it, the reason the headlights are aimed down too far is the front bumper cover apparently wasn't reinstalled correctly at some point. It's like it's drooping about 3/16" at the front. There's no damage - it was just probably put back together carelessly by some dealer tech. (I've maybe got an upcoming beef with my dealer, who also did the cam adjuster on this engine, hence the bumper cover and radiator support. They didn't correct my wife's V6 4Mo front side-to-side camber difference during an alignment on Friday, and tried to convince me it's okay as-is when the Bentley says it's not... making me doubt their thoroughness in general)

After the shift linkage, the next think I'll do is fix the front end reassembly and find any missing fasteners and get everything back together 100% right. The plastic piece at the base of the windshield was also loosely replaced and rattles now and again.

Our first OEM+ mod (as soon as I can swing it after buying new tires...) will probably be a heated windshield (a la passatplus.de) to replace the current one with the crack. The glass only costs about $90 more than the stock one.

Loving the car, though, despite its warts! Thanks for the welcome!

Edited by VWAffe - 08-Apr-2007 at 22:09
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 21:57
Check your policy - a cracked windshield might be covered with no deductible?
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 23:03
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

Check your policy - a cracked windshield might be covered with no deductible?

That had occurred to me... but I'll probably not do that. I was a boy scout once.

One, it was pre-existing, and two... insurance companies have this annoying little habit of counting lots of claims, no matter how small against you if you get too many.
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 23:14
First drive impressions: my kids asked for a bedtime ride tonight, so we took the W8 out for a spin down some newly-paved, twisting country roads close to the house tonight that is a favorite drive for us any time of year.

Checked the tire pressures before leaving because I thought things didn't look inflated enough, and found the fronts 5lb under... noticeable difference before and after.

I love the high-beams... wow - even not properly aligned, they're like turning on the sun at night.

When we got to the twisties, I wasn't sure how hard to push it, so took it pretty easy, but found myself going a lot faster than in our V6 4Mo with the 1BA suspension and 15" Wellingtons. The car is noticably more sure-footed and planted in the turns, and with all that torque on tap, it will hunker down immediately and rocket out of a curve like nobody's business - all the reasons I bought a 4Mo for our family wagon, times 2.

I find myself comparing it to the IROC Camaro I used to have, which was an excellent mountain road car, but this is an even better, much more refined experience.

If I had bought it new for $40K, I'd still be satisfied, but the fact that I got it for 25 less than that is just priceless.

Edited by VWAffe - 09-Apr-2007 at 05:15
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 23:09
Nice find! Welcome to the W8 family!
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 15:14
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

Nice find! Welcome to the W8 family!

Thanks!

Continuing impressions: Found some sloppily reattached trim at the base of the windshield... someone was in a hurry to get it back together, maybe the battery shop it was in on Thursday. But... I found all the missing clips and such either in the rain tray or on the fender sills under the hood! Now to find the missing battery hold-down. Then... realign the radiator support and bumper.

I continue to be impressed with how vibration-free the engine is and also how smooth the power delivery is. Those twin balance shafts do the trick!

Yesterday the beast threw a Check Engine light at me... Grrrr. Upon investigation last night, it turned out it is likely a non-linear water temperature response from a sensor, probably caused by an air bubble in the system, also the cause of gurgling noises in the heater core at cold start-up. I'd hope the dealer who did the last coolant service used the right vacuum tool to evacuate and then fill the cooling system, but you never know. Good thing I have one... There were also some misfires detected on the right bank, but I probably did that when I stalled it by accident stopping at a toll booth. Note to self: try not to confuse which car you're in - wife's black V6 tip has no clutch, but my black W8 does! No codes have come back yet, so I'm furiously knocking on wood.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>