Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Electronics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedGoofy headlight problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowdogg00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goofy headlight problem
    Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 02:33
I have a weird situation with my passenger side headlight. Sometimes when I start the car, the HID bulb won't turn on on that side of the car. It still won't come on if I turn on the headlight switch. If I shut off the car and turn it on again, the light will come back on usually. Sometimes it takes a couple tries. anyone have this problem or know what could cause it?
"So far, this is the oldest I've been"
2003 W8 tiptronic
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 22:49
I haven't had this problem. Sounds like you may have a bad contact somewhere. Intermittent electrical problems are the worse thing to diagnose.

Edited by B5crazy - 22-Apr-2007 at 04:50
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
maybe 8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote maybe 8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 18:36
hey dogg,
congrats on your new 8. i to am the new owner of a 03 wagon. we also have this problem same side same fix.
will be going in to have it looked at. let me know if you find a fix as i will to
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 14:38
Wow, add me to the list. Happened for the first time this past Sunday, but on the drivers side headlight.

A friend in another car driving back from Show & Go, informed me that it was out (just DRL mode), so I flipped the headlight switch on, and still no dice. Got home turned the car off, then back on and it worked. No other occurances since that day.
scottbob0 View Drop Down

Quote scottbob0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 18:31
had the same prob. if the lite is a different color then its going out. look up my post on the head lights
W8 6speed 03 Maus
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 06:09
listen, don't worry about shutting the car off to get the headlight going again. just briefly pull up on the handbrake lever and that will refire the balasts. mine does it a lot too, but i haven't taken it in to the dealer yet.
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
snowdogg00 View Drop Down

Quote snowdogg00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 14:22
Well, I ended up just pulling the 173 relay so I don't have to think about it. Everytime I turn on just the headlights now they have both come on since I did this.
"So far, this is the oldest I've been"
2003 W8 tiptronic
SeattleW8 View Drop Down

Quote SeattleW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 09:48
I have the same problem with the passenger side headlight. Trip to the dealer did not find the problem. It happens infrequently but is still a mystery. Anyone found a cause yet?
Jim
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 17:10
yes! today i got the dealer to duplicate the passenger light going out at startup. they ordered an igniter and a control module under warranty, thank goodness. three hours labor quoted. what a relief, since my 4 year is up in august (36k miles)
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 19:44
I've decided to bite the bullet and get my headlight alignment checked at the dealer. My appointment is Friday morning.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>