Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Hey Y'all from S.W. Louisiana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 23>
Author
Admin
Admin

Online Status: Offline
  Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey Y'all from S.W. Louisiana
    Posted: 12-Sep-2014 at 14:41
Is it grinding gears when you try and put it in gear? Or what is it doing? Just a reminder, this transmission is the same as an S4, so you can try looking up the same problem in an S4 if you can't find anyone with a W8 having the problem.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2014 at 22:37
There is no grinding at all. It just is in neutral and won't go into any gear. If I put in the clutch pedal and try to push the shift knob into a gear I can barely feel the car move but no matter how hard I push the knob it won't go in gear.
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 19:10
I wonder if the slave cylinder in the clutch died? If so, the plates won't separate and you'd have quite the problem getting the car into gear.

That would be a bummer since it's going to be very difficult to gain access to the clutch.
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 20:34
But I'd think it would grind at least trying to put it in gear.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2014 at 02:46
I sat in the car today, all gears worked with engine off and all gears worked with the engine on. I'm at a loss other than the hydraulic system for the clutch pedal (master and slave) or a shift linkage perhaps.

I have been given three different opinions:
shift linkage
hydraulic fluid needs to be changed or bleed off
transmission is broke'd

...either way, I'm going to NYC this weekend and will have to take care of this when I get back.
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2014 at 17:05
Shift linkage is also an excellent theory.
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2014 at 03:28
The owner's manual says that the fluid needs to be changed every 2 years. I don't think mine has ever been changed, it is black. Today all gears worked fine, again. I'll be gone to NYC for a week and am bringing it to the dealer when I get back.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2014 at 16:18
I am back from NYC, wow what a place, great to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

I'll bring my car into the dealer on Monday to find out what's going on with the shift problems and after that it's back to getting the ST coil-overs installed. The difference this time on the install is that I will approve what I call the "3H".....heat, hammer, hack.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2014 at 06:08
I am thinking about selling my refinished Madras wheels and new tires. I don't run them in summer because I use the Miro wheels and I am looking into getting some 18" wheels for winter. I just don't have the heart to use these as winter wheels, I also don't really want to sell them because they are part of the "Sport" package but they would just sit stored for years until I sell the car. Anyway, I'm torn between hording them or letting someone else enjoy them.
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2014 at 00:21
You live in LA...you don't need winter tires
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 23>