Forum Home Forum Home > Members > USA - South
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Hey Y'all from S.W. Louisiana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 23>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey Y'all from S.W. Louisiana
    Posted: 03-Jul-2014 at 00:04
I think the cost will really come down to how hidden you want the wires. If you want them under carpet you will be looking at big bucks. But I don't think it should be too too bad if they go out the firewall and run the wires under the car.
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2014 at 00:12
They offer radios with CarPlay for half the price, why the $1,400? Running wires to the rear for a back up cam isn't hard at all. They don't need to go under the carpet or under the car, you can easily tuck them under the door sill trim pieces. The hardest part is getting the behind the seat, but it's all possible. The hardest part is just deciding how you want the camera mounted and actually mounting it.
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2014 at 00:22
The W8 whisperer has spoken, thats why I usually don't offer advice because I know some you other guys will just make me look stupid(er)
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2014 at 00:37
The difference is, besides twice the price, one has a 7.1" screen and captive CD/DVD player and the other is a 6.1" screen with a visible disc player.

I would love to find it at a better price but of course I have to have the "flagship" model for my car.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2014 at 05:17
Originally posted by srdavis872

you're probably talking about the upper ball joint pinch bolt, common bolt to get seized. When I did mine first, those were seized, so I just unbolted the control arms from the inside, and it was fine. That pinch bolt can be a huge pain to get out.

Sean, I need your help please, my car was at the dealer again for the ST coil-over install. This time they had all of those bolts on hand in case any of them broke off. Well, he told me that is still can not get that top bolt to break loose. Could you please give me an exact detailed description of what you did to your car so I can pass it along to the tech. Any picture(s) would help too. He said something about the bolts on the W8 are facing the opposite way than non-W8 cars.
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2014 at 16:57
Let me get this straight, you took it to a VW dealership and they can't figure out how to take the suspension apart? It shouldn't be any different than any other Passat. I wish I was closer to you because it's really not that big of a deal. There's one top pinch bolt on the upright that is the traditional way to get it out. They normally get seized and required an air hammer to get out. If it doesn't come out, you can take the top 2 controls arms off from the top mount. It takes a while as there's not much room but that's how I did it the first few times on mine. Idk what else to really say.
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2014 at 15:03
Originally posted by srdavis872

Let me get this straight, you took it to a VW dealership and they can't figure out how to take the suspension apart?

That is actually somewhat worrying
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2014 at 02:20
He just keeps telling me that the top pinch bolt on the upright is in backwards. He said he has done this before on other B5 cars (none W8) and that all those cars the bolt faced the other way. He said he can't get to the bolt and it is seized up. I sent him this picture, is this how you say you did it?

http://s24.photobucket.com/user/darrbar/media/Car%20stuff/CIMG1355.jpg.html

Edited by Superman - 09-Jul-2014 at 02:21
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2014 at 15:15
Yeah, that's how I did mine. But really, if a mechanic at the dealership can't figure how to get a bolt, which commonly seizes on these cars, then you should ask for a different mechanic or go to a different dealership. Just because the bolt is in the other way doesn't mean it's an excuse for not being able to get it out. I can see how it might be more difficult but really, it's a joke that he can't figure out ho to get it out.

He probably is going to use an air hammer to hammer to bolt out, since it's in backwards, the air hammer has to come at it from the other side which there's not enough room for. Tell him to cut the head of the bolt off and knock it out like it was in the right way. No you don't have to take this bolt out to do this, but if he's already in there messing with it, might as well just get it over with.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2014 at 19:21
Thanks. I will try to get a picture of my car to see what he has done so far. He did tell me about the air hammer and said he would like to avoid doing that to my car. It looks like that may have to be one of the options. It's not totally his fault because when he said "air chisel" to me, I said "no". He only will do what I approve and we did order a new bolt in case that one breaks off but I never did approve him to take the air hammer to it. I may just have no choice. Anyways, as always, I appreciate your skill and advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 23>