Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

W8 Chip Tuning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ___/ __/ _/ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W8 Chip Tuning
    Posted: 12-Sep-2008 at 00:11
Originally posted by RobBentley

I had mine flash-tuned (remapped) by a place not too far from me. I've since had 180MPH out of it on the speedo and it was still accelerating. With the addtion of a custom exhaust (hopefully will be fitted by Christmas) it should be a beast :D

Holy JEEZ...... I want to go driving with you!

Mike
"I agree that the W8 is a great car--when it works... "
-dstathos-

^Pure Genius! Why didn't I write that?!?

RobBentley View Drop Down

Quote RobBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2008 at 19:48
While we're on this subject - does anybody know anything about the "Tip-Chip" that apparently speeds up gear changes on the W8? What about availability in the UK?

I'm really keen to keep tuning my W8. Magnaflow Exhaust is next on my list and a drop-in K&N airfilter (not induction as I suspect opening the intake will just allow heat from the W8 engine into the airflow).
jmc_w8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jmc_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2008 at 22:07
There us a Tip chip that we can get in the US that, yes, speeds up gear changes, both in automatic mode and manual mode. The Tip chip is done by GIAC, I think. I do not know about UK availability. But what I have also heard is that the US Tip chip essentially tunes US Tips like they are already tuned in Europe. If what I recall is true, the US Tip programming calls for slower shifting than the European program because supposedly US consumers are accustomed to smoother-shifting automatic transmissions than European consumers are. If this is true and if all of the European Tips get the same program, then I do not think that this Tip chip would be useful to you. But if the UK Tip is tuned like the US one is, then maybe this is an upgrade that you would like. I think you need to find advice from inside the UK to clear this up.

Quote RobBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 04:12
The one thing that realy annoys me about Tip is the soft rev limit of around 5300rpm where it automatically changes to the next gear - I hoped a chip might solve this.

I've heard loads of people on other Passat (non-W8 forums) talk about how recoding their boxes to old-strategy solves this, but, I can't seem to find an old-strategy on the W8 box.

My stock coding is 01101. Changing to 01131 (apparently according to the Passat 1.8T and 1.9TDi crew adding two to that digit puts it in sports mode and old strategy only puts mine in sports :(. I still get the damn'd soft rev-limit at 5.3k/rpm.
jmc_w8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jmc_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2008 at 18:51
Are you speaking of the rev limit in auto or manual mode? If you are speaking of manual mode as I think you are because you mention "old strategy", then mine is not working like yours. In manual mode, mine will go to redline plus some before it forces the shift. I have not done any re-coding, and only the dealership and factory have had the car before me.

How does this behave for others?

Quote RobBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2008 at 11:38
Okay, it would seem i've sussed it.

The TipTronic only develops this soft-rev limit when recoded for "sports mode" in Auto 'D' as documented in the Bentley. If its coded back to stock style of gear changes in full Auto, the TipTronic works as i'd have expected it too.
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2008 at 12:19

The TipTronic only develops this soft-rev limit when recoded for "sports mode" in Auto 'D' as documented in the Bentley.

Interesting. I'm gonna have to test this. I have mine coded in "sports mode" and have not noticed this (likely just not paying attention) Some spirited driving is in order later today.

Edited by rustybronco - 18-Sep-2008 at 18:20
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2008 at 13:43
There's a soft rev limit on manual cars in 1st gear, too. Ergo, the behavior that cuts it off early in 1st is ECU-driven, not transmission controller-related, I believe. Others have said that an ECU chip/flash job can remove the unwanted behavior.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
wokwhisk View Drop Down

Quote wokwhisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2008 at 21:55
I'm more annoyed by a lag in 2nd gear (I seem to use 1st more as a just-get-rolling-gear): plenty of other things to be more concerned about with this car, however! All things said I just passed 60,000 miles US and I'm still at least half in love...
-Jake
2004 6MT

Quote RobBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2008 at 04:15
Originally posted by rustybronco

The TipTronic only develops this soft-rev limit when recoded for "sports mode" in Auto 'D' as documented in the Bentley.

Interesting. I'm gonna have to test this. I have mine coded in "sports mode" and have not noticed this (likely just not paying attention) Some spirited driving is in order later today.

I've recoded mine back to stock (my stock coding is 01101) and TipTronic will now rev to redline in all gears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>