Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > The W8 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

W8 Chip Tuning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote straightw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W8 Chip Tuning
    Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 22:48
The dealer offers to do the GIAC, so I'm guessing chipping shouldnt cause warranty issues...
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2008 at 23:21
I've now scheduled my chipping for July 7th. I will be getting a Unitronic. Apparently, there needs to be some extra mods to the software for my year which will involve downloading info from the ECU, emailing the info to Unitronic, and then final coding sent back to the tuner. Is should be interesting and I'll let everyone know how if goes when I get back.

Edited by B5crazy - 29-Jun-2008 at 05:26
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2008 at 22:40
I'm finally chipped!!!! While the increase in power is not like chipping a 1.8T or 2.0T it is noticeable. Also the acceleration is more immediate is smoother. I've been told it will take a few days for the ECU to fully adapt but so far all is good.

Go Unitronic!
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2008 at 23:57
Who, what, where & how did you go thru for the chipping, and how much? Fill me in, I'd like to know since I have an 04 6MT too. Thanks!
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2008 at 14:31
Originally posted by JimmyPringles

Who, what, where & how did you go thru for the chipping, and how much? Fill me in, I'd like to know since I have an 04 6MT too. Thanks!

I used Shine Racing Service in Walpole MA. When I lived in MA they did a lot of mods on my previous VWs. Most of their work is building VW, Audi, and Porsche race cars.

Since Unitronic has never done an '04 6MT before my ECU first had to be scanned to download files. This took about 45 mins. This was emailed to Unitronic who then prepared the chip tuning. Once the new programming is received the flash to your ECU takes about 7 minutes. They are unique in that the programming is overalaid in top of the current programming instead of being completely swapped out. Thus, they have fewer CEL faults and the dealer cannot see the software. However, if the dealer ever reflashes the ECU the software for regular updates the programming is lost. If this happens to you, any Unitronic dealer can reflash your ECU at no cost to you. Also, any upgrades will be done at no cost.

Basic price is $500 for the chip and whatever the shop want to charge for labor. SRS usually charges $100.
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

wokwhisk View Drop Down

Quote wokwhisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 14:45
Wow that's great news as it's fairly close to me in Cambridge MA. But sadly my car is having a fuel sending unit issue right now (for the THIRD time ), so this will likely wait for a while. Just have to drive the Speed3 til then...
-Jake
2004 6MT
RobBentley View Drop Down

Quote RobBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2008 at 12:48
I had mine flash-tuned (remapped) by a place not too far from me. I've since had 180MPH out of it on the speedo and it was still accelerating. With the addtion of a custom exhaust (hopefully will be fitted by Christmas) it should be a beast :D
Trevorswaine View Drop Down

Quote Trevorswaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2008 at 13:23
I'd be interested in having mine chipped (and a better exhaust perhaps next year) can you let me know where you had it done? thanks.

Quote RobBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2008 at 13:26
Hi Trevorswaine.

I had it done with http://www.chip-n-spin.co.uk/ run by Mark Wheeler. He's backed by ChippedUK who have a contact in Germany who did ECU hardware design for VW a while back.

He's mapped both my 1.8T and W8 Passat & the V5 Bora - all with great results.

Quote RobBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2008 at 13:27
Hi Trevorswaine.

I had it done with http://www.chip-n-spin.co.uk/ run by Mark Wheeler. He's backed by ChippedUK who have a contact in Germany who did ECU hardware design for VW a while back.

He's mapped both my 1.8T and W8 Passat & the V5 Bora - all with great results.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>