The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Camshaft adjuster - P0021 fix success ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GS535i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camshaft adjuster - P0021 fix success ...
    Posted: 09-Oct-2015 at 02:25
My '03 silver wagon recently experienced the P0021 MIL/CEL code ..... intake cam over advanced, bank 2 ( left side). The engine has ~ 60K miles, in a 125K mile chassis - has routine oil changes of Rotella T6 5W-40.
The electro shock therapy initially worked, then the code returned ..... and no 'click click' when attempting to cycle the solenoid at battery voltage. The valves plunger was firmly stuck in the extended position.

I read further in the archives here, and found the excellent post by member billj3cub!

With the intake manifold and bank 2 valve cover removed, the inboard solenoid/valve (intake) was removed and washed in diesel fuel, then varsol ( paint thinner) .... some very small non-magnetic bits were washed out, and the plunger unit was freed. The engine was bumped on the starter to oil flush the valve body bore in the hydraulic cam adjuster body - all reassembled, code cleared ...... and continues to run perfectly a couple of weeks later.

No great news, except for crediting billj3cub's post.

I will add/reinforce a couple of points --
1)tape over or cover all intake openings with manifold removed
2)very carefully seal all openings around the cam drive with soft cloth to avoid a fatal drop of anything inside
3)thoroughly magnetize the shaft of your T20 torx driver ( stroking the shaft in one direction with a strong magnet ...... doesn't sound quite right, but you get the idea ;)) before extracting the 2 solenoid hold down screws. They will then stay in place!!!
4)rotate the solenoid body 90 deg to expose the hold down ears - then with a hook tool and flat blade screwdriver, the solenoid & valve can be wrestled out

This will work identically for any of/all 4 solenoids

Relatively easy job - fantastic results.

Edited by GS535i - 03-Nov-2015 at 21:29
03 Variant W8 silver on black TIP
00 Variant white 1.8T 5sp
96 993 C4S midnight blue/cashmere
90 535i blk/blk 5sp
928 5sp
 Post Reply Post Reply