Forum Home Forum Home > Registration > Introduction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

New W8 Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Michel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New W8 Owner
    Posted: 07-Jan-2019 at 16:18
Concerning the cams ajusters, mine started again to click like a damage motor (very scary). Maybe due to the cold weather. I didn't hear this clicking since 50KKm ago. I only use MOTUL full synthetic (507 spec) since at least 5 years. The recommended OEM by VW Castrol degrade fastly under high temp and leave crap in engine heads and solenoid cams. 5 Years ago, I taught my engine was damage and I read a post from a fellow that recovered his W8 Engine with Gunk Engine flush. I put two bottles of Gunk and let engine running for 15-20 minutes at Idle with some intermittent rev and guess what, the cams solenoids came back alive again!
Dumped the oil (it was black like crap) and refill engine oil with another two bottles of Gunk engine flush and let run again on Idle for another 15-20 minutes with some intermittent Rev. Dumped back the oil that turned mid brown. Since then, I only use Motul. Changed a valve cover gasket last year and there was very little oil carbon deposit. Now, I think I will have to perform another engine flush. If it doesn't perform well, I will then have to try the solenoid 'shock therapy'...
W8-2003-270kKm, Moonrock Grey, Tiptronic, still Running well. Second W8-2002- 200KKm that need an engine...   
orangeokie View Drop Down

Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2019 at 01:31
Interesting. I took care of my cam adjusters by replacing both of them. Zero trouble since then. Keep us updated on your flushing technique and the Motul.
Uberhare View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2019 at 02:03
15K update - small p/s fluid leak somewhere I have to find. Transmission multi-switch is acting up. I have a spare from the original trans, just have to get to it. Looks like the engine mount has to come off.

Otherwise car is great!
04 Passat W8 Wagon,04 Phaeton W12, 10 A3 TDI, 05 Passat TDI Wagon (6spd M/T), 93 Corrado VR6
89 VW LT31 Florida, 89 Vanagon Whitestar, 67 Beetle Limo, 64 PA28-140
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345