The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Coolant Leak after 80K mile service

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coolant Leak after 80K mile service
    Posted: 24-May-2018 at 21:51
My wife had been smelling coolant after shutting down the car in the garage. There was a small (less than pie plate sized) puddle of liquid on the concrete floor each morning. I've been working out of town, but I was home last week for a funeral and I too noticed the smell and even had the low coolant light come on. I checked the reservoir and added less than a quart, topping it off to the "full" fill mark. The light went out, but I could still smell the coolant after shutting it down. Drove the car for a day or two, with no issues, and flew back to work.

Well the wife called me today and said the coolant low light came on again. I'm flying home for the Memorial Day holiday weekend and called and got an appointment on Saturday at the dealership. They will look into the leak. I'm hoping it is associated with the work they did on the 80K mile service and not a water pump or other repair that will require extensive labor costs. I'll update this post when I find out what is going on.

Edited by orangeokie - 24-May-2018 at 21:54
JayTheSnork View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2018 at 17:35
time to put some cardboard under it after you run it (with no belly pan on it), to get an idea where it is coming from.
orangeokie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2018 at 00:42
I personally think it is coming from beneath the plastic reservoir. I'll find out tomorrow at the dealership. Wife got another light yesterday and she put another quart or two in it.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2018 at 20:34
Groupie
Groupie

Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2018 at 22:20
New plastic reservoir - $60
1 hour labor - $120

Good as new for another 15 years
eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2018 at 21:31
Nice! I'll bet the new reservoir looks good too. They tend to get discolored over time.
 Post Reply Post Reply