Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Rear View Mirror came unglued?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear View Mirror came unglued?
    Posted: 02-Oct-2018 at 17:20
Mt rear view mirror on my 03 W8 came unglued. I have never seen an attachment set up like this before, and I tried to glue it back on myself, with no luck. Took it to the dealer and spent $125 and after four attempts, they couldn't get the glue to hold either.

Does anyone have a solution for this?
eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2018 at 23:45
I re-glued mine about 4 months ago and it hasn't come off yet. I learned that standard rear-view mirror adhesive is not the right stuff for our mirror mounts. The VW manual calls for a 2-part polyurethane adhesive (with an associated VW part number).

I used Permatex "black polyurethane", which is a 1-part adhesive. I roughed up the surfaces and put a generous bead around the ring. I held it in place using an adjustable hiking pole, with the handle end on the mirror mount and the pointy end in the cup holder in the centre console.

So far so good...
orangeokie View Drop Down

Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2018 at 00:58
My dealer was a waste of time. At least they gave me the name of the glass company that does their windshields, so I stopped by to talk to them. The guy who looked at my car knew it was a 2003 Passat, knew it had the rain sensor, and even had a replacement "clear pad" that sticks on between the glass (in the center of the black doughnut on the windshield) and the plastic sensor. He cleaned off the glue residue that the dealership mechanic had left on everything, used glass cleaner to wipe down both the surface of the black doughnut and the metal mounting bracket, glued the metal mounting bracket on with a two-part glue (he later told me it was Loctite) slipped on the plastic pieces on the wires and clipped it to metal bracket, slid the mirror onto the bracket, plugged in the clip to the sensor and clipped on the plastic shroud and voila! . . . fixed and working perfectly. He tried to just charge me $15 for the plastic pad that goes between the sensor and the glass (he told me the price before he put it on) but I insisted he take another $25 for his time. He was thankful. He told me if I ever needed auto glass, to come see him. Good old Oklahoma country boy who knew what he was doing. With the proper glue and the clear circular stick on pad, this is easily a DIY project. All the plastic pieces just clip together and come apart and back to together easily. The metal clip on the mirror simply slides off and on the circular metal mounting piece. Just make sure when you glue it onto the black plastic doughnut on the wind shield that your situate it properly.

Edited by orangeokie - 05-Oct-2018 at 01:06
orangeokie View Drop Down

Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2018 at 04:40
Just a quick update on the performance of the mirror repair. Everything is still A-OK. Whenever me and my wife drive the car, we each have to adjust the mirror, and it is still tight and secure to the windshield. Truly, it is all about the proper glue. . . 2-part Loctite!
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2018 at 00:04
Love the power/memory mirror in my Phaeton for this reason!
04 Passat W8 Wagon,04 Phaeton W12, 10 A3 TDI, 05 Passat TDI Wagon (6spd M/T), 93 Corrado VR6
89 VW LT31 Florida, 89 Vanagon Whitestar, 67 Beetle Limo, 64 PA28-140
 Post Reply Post Reply